Sunday, November 20, 2016

Dreaming

Previous scene: "All Moved In"


The morning sun shining through the wood blinds, sliced the room into pieces.  Arms behind her head, Eva lay in the quiet, watching the dust float in the beams of light.  Breathing.  The dreams of the previous night swam in her head.  She couldn’t remember much.  A purple person who wasn't a person.  It was like a person but it was also like a liquid, a highly viscous liquid.  Eva was herself in her dream, looking through her own eyes at the being while the being looked at her.  That's all she remembered.

Through the door, Eva heard the familiar ting-ting of coffee cups jostling again each other.  The cupboard clapped shut.  The shhhh of water streaming from the faucet.  Lynn is a coffee junky and attends to that craving each morning before she does anything else.  Eva stayed in bed.  The gurgle of the coffee pot as it finished brewing.  Eva waited to hear Lynn pour her first cup of coffee.  Then, and only then, would Eva venture out to say good morning to her friend.  Greeting Lynn before said cup of coffee would only elicit a growl and a sharp remark.

Ah, there's it is.  The knock on the wooden table indicating that Lynn had her coffee and the coast was clear for Eva to go and enjoy a cup of coffee herself. She flipped the comforter off her bare legs and walked barefoot from the bedroom to the kitchen. Sophia padded quietly behind her, the jingle of tiny bells on her collar the only clue that the fat cat was following Eva through the house.

"Morning.”

"Morning." Lynn responded with the standard sleepy statement.

"How'd you sleep?" Eva asked the typical first thing in the morning question.

"OK, I guess.  I kept dreaming."

"Me, too," Eva said.  "What did you dream about?"

"I'm not sure.  I don't remember much.” Lynn sipped her coffee.  “There was an almost human-looking figure hovering in front of me.  It was dark, so I couldn't make out any features.  It seemed to be looking at me, though.  It made me nervous.  I asked it what its name was and it said 'Amethyst'."

"Lynn, I dreamed that something was looking at me, too." In a taut voice, Eva described her own dream.

Lynn sang, "Do-do-do-do, Do-do-do-do" in the creepiest voice she could manage.  "I love coincidences like that!"

"Coincidences like what?" Natalie walked into the kitchen.  She lived down the street, but dropped in to have coffee with Eva and Lynn each day after her morning jog.

"Oh, nothing really." Lynn waved her hand dismissing the question as nothing significant.  "We were just sharing our dreams."

"Interesting," Natalie drew the word out slowly as she poured herself a cup of coffee. She settled into a chair at the table.  "You know, I had an odd dream last night myself.  I was alone in a dark void expect for one other thing.  The thing was some kind of entity, but I don’t mean like an alien.  It wasn't saying anything, but it was looking at me.  What a creepy feeling! That someone is watching you, you know.  So, I told it, 'I can see you.’  It splashed into lots of droplets in the air and a sweet female voice said 'And now you can't.'  Then the droplets fell to the floor and disappeared. It was gone."

Eva and Lynn sat in stunned silence at the table, staring wide-eyed at each other.

“There’s no way,” Eva said.

“Coincidence?” Lynn offered.

“No, no, no. No way Lynn.” She shook her head.

"What?" Natalie asked. “No way what?”

"Natalie, umm, how to tell you this…." Eva started.

Lynn finished the thought, "We all had the same dream last night."

No comments:

Post a Comment